Omar J. Harb | 248-282-8111 | E-mail | Download vCard | Licensed in MI
Fidelity, Surety Law, Construction Law, and Commercial Litigation
Omar J. Harb is a shareholder in the firm. He has extensive experience in handling contract and commercial surety matters, including probate and notary bond claims and litigation. His practice also includes general construction litigation, as well as salvage, subrogation, and indemnity issues on behalf of sureties, and fidelity bond matters.
He has given presentations relating to performance and payment bond topics, fidelity bond issues, claims handling, indemnity agreements, the surety's subrogation rights, and probate and notary bonds.
- State of Michigan
- Eastern District of Michigan
- Western District of Michigan
- Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals
AREAS OF PRACTICE
- Contract Surety Law
- Construction Litigation
- Commercial Surety Law
- Fidelity Law
- Notary Law
- Commercial Disputes
- Cornell University, B.A. Economics; B.A. Government, 1991
- University of Michigan Law School, J.D., Cum Laude, 1994
PROFESSIONAL MEMBERSHIPS AND LEADERSHIP POSITIONS
- American Bar Association (Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section, Fidelity and Surety Law Committee)
- Editor-in-Chief, Fidelity and Surety Law Committee Newsletter
- Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Section
- Past Technology Chair/Website Coordinator
- Past Co-Chair, Young Professionals Division
- State Bar of Michigan
- Northeast Surety and Fidelity Claims Association
- Martindale-Hubbell, AV Peer Review Rated attorney (by peer nomination)
- Michigan Super Lawyers, 2014-2016
PRESENTATIONS AND PUBLICATIONS
- "Completion by the Bond Obligee" (co-authored), in BOND DEFAULT MANUAL, 4th Ed., presented at the FSLC Spring Meeting, La Jolla, CA, May 2015.
- "Other Miscellaneous Surety Bonds" (co-authored), in NEW APPLEMAN ON INSURANCE LAW LIBRARY EDITION (2014)
- "The Surety's Subrogation Rights and Claims Against the Federal Government" (co-authored), in THE CONTRACT BOND SURETY'S SUBROGATION RIGHTS (2013), presented at FSLC Spring Meeting, Orlando, FL, May 2013.
- "The Continued Viability of the 'Pay-if-Paid' Defense for the Surety" (co-authored), presented at Northeast Surety and Fidelity Claims Conference, Atlantic City, NJ, September 2016.
- "The Indemnity Agreement and the Handling of Surety Claims" (co-authored), in THE SURETY'S INDEMNITY AGREEMENT: LAW AND PRACTICE, 2nd Ed., presented at the FSLC Spring Meeting, Kansas City, MO, May 2008.
- "Computer Fraud Coverage: Balancing the Needs of the Insured against the Risk and Cost Associated with the Product" (co-authored), presented at Northeast Surety and Fidelity Claims Conference, Atlantic City, NJ, September 2014.
- "The Contract Document Provisions Relating to the Scope of Work" (co-authored), presented at the FSLC Mid-Winter Meeting, New York, NY, January 2011.
- "Regulating Ethics - Attempts to Regulate Surety Claims Practices" (co-authored), moderated panel at Northeast Surety and Fidelity Claims Conference, Atlantic City, NJ, September 2010.
- "Liability of Surety for Loan to Principal from Estate," presented at Probate Bonds program, ABA Annual Meeting, Chicago, IL, August 2001.
- "Unraveling the Mystery of Court Bonds" (co-authored), in Surety Bond Quarterly (National Association of Surety Bond Producers, Winter 2015).
- "When an Obligee Takes Matters into its Own Hands" (co-authored), in For the Defense (DRI, March 2007).
- "Michigan" (co-authored), in PERFORMANCE BOND MANUAL (2006).
- "Michigan" (co-authored), in CONTRACTOR'S STATE LICENSE BONDS DESK REFERENCE (2006).
- "Notary Bonds," co-presented at DRI Fidelity and Surety Roundtable (Chicago, IL, May 2006).
- "An Insurer's Liability to Reimburse the Insured for its Payment to a Third Party Resulting from Employee Theft/Dishonesty" (co-authored), presented at Northeast Surety and Fidelity Claims Conference, Atlantic City, NJ, September 2012.
- "Doing Battle with the IRS Over Contract Funds" (co-authored), for Eastern Bond Claims Conference seminar materials (May, 2009).